So you have got inked – congratulations! It is now time to concentrate on aftercare. If you want your tattoo to age like fine wine, the next couple of weeks are immensely significant. They after all ensure if a tattoo will heal properly or become infected.
While you certainly know the necessity of avoiding sunlight or resisting the temptation to pick on scabs, you might not know which products to apply on a freshly tattooed skin. For details, please go through the rest of the discussion now.
How to Choose the Best Tattoo Aftercare Products?
A tattoo is a huge investment and a sort of personal statement that will stick around permanently – so be careful.
According to the experts offering tips regarding tattoo aftercare Australia, it is necessary to rely on protective ointments that have no caustic chemicals in them. The reason behind using ointments after a tattooing session is to provide an emollient layer that helps the traumatic skin cells to repair themselves.
Go through the ingredient list before purchasing a product. Make sure it has no additive or perfume since they can cause irritation. Simple and plain works the best. Maintain a distance form salicylic acid, retinols, lanolin, and alpha hydroxy acids. While Neosporin may be ideal for other wounds, in case of tattoos, they can pave the way for contact dermatitis or allergic reactions.
- Use a mild, fragrance-free soap.
- Most tattoo artists recommend Dove or Neutrogena.
- The soaps meant for babies seem like a good option as they are usually gentle on the skin.
- When your tattoo starts healing and the scabs fall off, look out for a mild moisturiser.
- The baby care creams work quite well on the tattoos. Remember to purchase the unscented varieties.
- The tattoo artists recommend Curel, Aveeno, and Lubriderm.
Petroleum-based Gel or Lotion
- Petroleum-based products are thick and immensely hydrating, thus, work best during the first few weeks.
- Apply a thin layer because your skin needs to breathe. You would not like to clog the pores.
- Aquaphor is an excellent tattoo healing ointment. It provides relief from itching, inflammation, and pain.The age-old Vaseline has also acquired much recognition
Are you looking for the most affordable yet effective way of healing your tats? If yes, please opt for none other than coconut oil. Owing to being a natural pain reliever and containing anti-inflammatory properties, it makes sense to use coconut oil on freshly inked skin. Go for the virgin oil that remains solid at room temperature. The refined liquid versions have fragrances that can irritate the tattoo.
The professionals providing quality yet affordable products of tattoo aftercare Australia said if you notice the below-mentioned signs, make sure to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist.
- Red rash
- Pus discharge
- Abnormal swelling
- Fever, sweats, and chills
Anyway, if you can be a tad cautious, you will have a lustrous tattoo for an eternity. And that’s all you want after spending a major portion of your income, and enduring so much pain, right?